Britain stops taking child refugees from Calais ‘Jungle’ at request of French...

Britain stops taking child refugees from Calais ‘Jungle’ at request of French police

21
0
SHARE
Screenshot_10

ads

Britain has stopped receiving child refugees from the Calais ‘Jungle’ camp at the request of French authorities.

The Home Office told the London Evening Standard it “reluctantly agreed” to “temporarily” halt the transfer of child refugees to the UK.

[embedded content]

French authorities are currently in the process of demolishing the so-called ‘Jungle’ refugee camp in Calais, where an estimated 1,000 children are thought to live.

Read more

Where violence became norm: ‘Jungle’ camp clear-up kicks off in Calais (VIDEO)

“Due to planned operational activity in Calais, and at the request of the French authorities, we have reluctantly agreed that the transfer process will be temporarily paused,” a Home Office spokesman told the Standard.

French officials said around 200 children left the Jungle camp for Britain last week, after UK authorities agreed to let in those under the age of 18 with family in the country or who were judged to be vulnerable.

Clashes erupted early on Monday morning between refugees and more than 1,200 French police as authorities swept in to begin evacuating and demolishing the camp.

Buses have begun transporting the majority of the camp’s residents to temporary shelters across France.

The Jungle is home to between 7,000 and 10,000 refugees and migrants fleeing war zones, repression and poverty. Many come from countries including Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Eritrea and Somalia.

DETAILS TO FOLLOW 


Source: Word News

skilldragon2

NO COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY